Both studios have been running successfully for over 5 years thanks to the education and experience that Emily and Melissa have each gained throughout the last 10 years. This workshop will be based on their business knowledge and years of experience running their respective studios.
Emily was the Manager of Business Operations at a successful printing company before she decided to operate her studio full time; and, Melissa is a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) with over 10 years business and accounting experience which as been essential to the way she runs her studio. Emily is accredited member of the Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC) and Melissa has recently joined the organization and will be applying for her accreditation this year.
We hope you will be joining us next month and please feel free to contact either of us with any questions you may have!
If you are a professional photographer and charging customers for your work, this is for you!
Saturday, March 5th and Sunday, March 6th 2016
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Day 1 – Melissa Kew Photography’s studio (Stittsville)
Day 2 – Diamondview Photography’s studio (Kanata south)
Because you have the drive to succeed with a profitable photography business
Melissa Kew Photography’s studio and sales room
- How to organize your business for tax time
- How much money you need to be setting aside to pay for personal taxes
- Should you charge HST?
- Should you hire an accountant?
Microsoft Excel vs other accounting software
We will discuss the following to help you decide if you should use accounting software to track your income and expenses or if Excel/Numbers is sufficient.
- How large is your business in dollar value?
- Are you making many purchases?
- Do you have a lot of clients (i.e. many transactions)?
- Do you own multiple businesses?
- Are you incorporated?
Cost of running your business
- How much does it cost to run your business (in time and in dollars)?
- What items should you include as part of your costs?
- What are your fixed and variable costs?
- How do you determine your session costs and your product costs?
How to price yourself (i.e. your time and your products)
Based on calculating your costs…
- How do you take that information to help you price yourself properly?
- Taking into account what the market will bear and what the service you offer is.
Contracts and Policies
We will cover all of the obvious and not-so-obvious clauses to include in your client contracts, from studio policies to limit of liability.
We will cover the whole client experience from start to finish in terms of HOW we communicate.
- Email communication
- Phone communication
- In-person communication
- How to answer tough client questions and how to deal with client push-back
- How many photos should your online portfolio include?
- Information to include and exclude for an effective and pleasant client experience
How to keep your studio organized, from client inquiries, new bookings, editing to-do list and orders… we will go over some effective methods to keep your workflow tidy and organized so you will never miss a step!
In Person Sales (IPS)
Selling face-to-face can be a scary concept, but it doesn’t have to be! We will go over our tried and true process of In Person Sales so that you can say goodbye to selling online and say hello to increased sales! We will go over the pros and cons and find the best way to make IPS work for your business. Not only will this be something great for your studio, but it will benefit your clients as well.
- How much should you be budgeting for your business weekly, monthly, annually?
- What percentage of your income should be reinvested in your business?
- What types of expenses are good investments in your business and will help you grow?
- How do you make a budget and what should a budget include and look like?
- How much time should you allocate to post-processing?
- What is the fastest way to cull images?
- What programs are available for this?
- Should you use actions/presets?
- How much post processing is appropriate?
Diamondview Photography’s studio and office
$399 + HST
Contact Emily and Melissa at EmMelPhoto@gmail.com with any questions!